Madurai Fish Gravy
This is a must make dish for the fish lover.Even my little boy loves the fish when prepared in this way.
1 tomato quartered
1/2 onion quartered
1 lemon sized dry or wet Tamarind
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 whole cloves of garlic
1/2 kg of Fish (I prefer pompfret)
2 green chillies sliced vertically
2 tsp coriander powder,
1/2 tsp cumin seed powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp fenugrek powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp urad dhal
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 handful Onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 inch ginger minced
Making Tamarind Juice:
To make the tamarind juice place in 3/4 cup of water and tamarind in a microwave safe bowl and boil for 2 minutes,allow to cool
Once cooled squeezy out the juices as much as possible.
- Grind the Quartered tomato and onions into fine paste or gravy and set aside.
- In a pan,heat oil,allow the mustard seeds,urad dhal and fenugreek seeds to splutter.
- Add onions and sauté until tender.
- Add minced ginger and garlic and sauté for 3-5 mins or until raw smell disappears.
- Add the Paste and cook 3-5 mins or until oil oozes out.
- Add the ground tomato and onion paste and cook for 3-5 minutes
- Add Tamarind Juice and green chillies and bring it to boil.
- Add the cleaned fish and cloves of garlic.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.