Living Homeschool History (South India):Book Review:The Story of Madras by Glynn Barlow
Recommended Age:Middle school and High school
This book was one I had to read,because this one is about my home state Tamil Nadu and very particularly the city where I live in Chennai whose previous name was Madras.It was an absolutely fascinating read,it helped me to look back a few centuries to see how Chennai looked like.
Click Here to see the Reveiw:
Click Here to Get the Book:(Kindle)
Click Here to Get the Book:(Archive)
- The book tells about the beginning of British East India company at 1636 the buying of Madras from King of Vijayanagar.
- The setting up of trade posts.
- The deal between the Nawab of Arcot and East India Company(Eic).
- The invasions from Tipu sultan and the French.
- Interesting information about the Ice House.
- The early buildings and churches in Madras – St Mary’s Church,St.Andrews church,St.Georges Cathedral.
- The arrival of Robert Clive.
- The different settlers in early Chennai – Jews,Armenians and Arabs.
- The layout of the city on those days – Mylapore,Moor market,Fort St George,Chindadripet (weavers colony),Washermenpet.
- The beginning of schools and colleges in the city – Madras Medical college,Madras Christian College
This is a good book to understand the early part of the British influence in India.